Monday, September 30, 2013

Vegan MoFo - Day 30

Wow. This is it! 30 days (minus a few here and there...I'm a mom of three and was out of town!) of hempy foods...never thought I'd be able to blog about so many!

Smoothies, dips, bread, cookies, seitan...the possibilities are endless! 

Today I have an ultra hempy post. First up is dinner - Chloe Coscarelli's Avocado Pesto Pasta. Being nutfree here, and free of many other foods that are allergens to my son, pesto is normally off-limits due to pine nuts. But swap in hemp seeds and you not only have a safe dinner, but also a much healthier one too! Blended with an immersion blender with avocados, garlic, olive oil, basil and my touch, a big handful of spinach, and they are magically transformed into creamy deliciousness. After mixing with hot pasta, I topped with sundried tomatoes.


Next up is a healthy and yummy energy bar. I love this recipe because the combos are endless because it's based in ratios - you can read about it here: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemade-energy-bar-recipe/

Here's my combo:
  • 1-pound can of beans - black beans
  • ½ cup binder - chia/water
  • ¼ cup sweetener - agave
  • ¼ cup soft sweet fruit - applesauce 
  • 1 teaspoon of extract (optional) - vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon of dry spice (optional) - cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • 1.5 cups of oats
  • 1 cup dry base ingredient - hemp pro 70/ some cocoa
  • 1 cup stir-ins - choc chips/coconut/hemp seeds

I then topped the baked and cooked bars with 1 1/2 times the recipe of frosting from Dreena Burton's B-raw-nies. I could just make it and eat it out of the mini food processor. Thick and fudgey!





No comments: