Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Vegan MoFo - Day 3

Not only are hempseeds great to sprinkle in oatmeal and on any salad for an extra protein boost, but they are a wonderful nut substitute for those with allergies. 

For instance, I adore Dreena Burton's Umami Almond, Quinoa and Sundried Tomato Burgers. Clearly, the name alone makes it a no-no for those with nut allergies. But swap the almonds for an equal amount of hempseeds and - Ta-da! - great allergy-friendly burgers, or meatballs, or crumbled into ground round.

These are GF and also soy-free (using coconut aminos) and so darn easy. I always keep tubs of cooked quinoa in my freezer so that I can make these quickly. I usually do a double batch and freeze half in a tub so that I'm good to go. Its so good and versatile that I vow to never make another mushy vegan bean burger again!

This time I made the mix into meatballs and topped my pasta with them. Yum! Omnivores give rave reviews!

http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/umami-almond-quinoa-burgers/

I served it alongside a fennel salad - this was much second time eating fennel and I loved how fresh and crisp this salad was. I'm annoyed that I only discovered it at the end of summer. Of course, I mixed in some hempseeds!


http://m.foodnetwork.com/recipes/22582

 P.S. Any tips to bring my blog from 2006 to 2013 would be totally helpful :)

No comments: