Sunday, May 13, 2012

Pizza Roll Ups

I make pizza. Alot. While I can change up the topping, the shape is pretty consistent. I've thought about a calzone style, but it takes forever for it to cool and I don't need the stress of one of the kids getting a burned tongue!

I was happy to read about Pizza Roll Ups in Today's Parent ages ago, and have made them a few times.  Basically, you roll out the dough to a rectangle, top it, then roll it up like a cinnamon bun, slice, and place separately on a parchment-lined cookie sheet to bake (I did mine at 375 for about 15-20 minutes). The kids are actually super pumped about them mainly because they initially think they are having cinnamon buns for dinner, but they remain excited after they realize they aren't filled with sugar - hooray!  And I'm jumping for joy since I have them stuffed with veggies that are easily disguised in this format - double hooray!  They are too busy unwinding them and stuffing their faces to realize that there is spinach, red pepper, mushrooms and nooch in there!

Normally I stuff mine with some minced seitan for added protein.  But it's been nice out the past couple of days, and I've had my mind on ramping up the cupcakes and cookies home baking business, so I've been lazy and haven't made any seitan.  So - why not use my other go-to protein source...hemp seeds!  I figured why not - they made a great sub for lentils in my pasta salad the other night, and they turned out great in the cinnamon buns!  Each roll easily had 2 tablespoons worth, so it bumped up the protein by about 10g per roll!

No comments: