Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hempy Snaps

The kids love munching on candied hemp seeds - sugar + water + hemp seeds - they call it 'candy'! It's a little sad because I'm sure that when I was their age, I would only call brightly coloured pure sugar stuff candy. I guess calling hemp candy isn't so bad.

I devised this next recipe in an effort to make something a little more compacted in a bar format than just little itty bitty candied hemp seeds (which fit *perfectly* in the little cracks of hardwood planks). I was all super pumped until they tried some - they were a no go. Too sticky for nearly 2- and 4-year-olds? Ah well. I'll eat these while I chisel candied hemp seeds off the floor.

Here's the super easy recipe...

Hempy Snaps

1 cup hemp hearts
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup agave
2 tbsp water
Canola oil spray

Add all ingredients to a nonstick skillet.  Stir over medium heat constantly to dissolve sugar in water.  Heat for about 4-5 minutes, until hemp hearts smell a little toasty.

Scrape out mixture onto parchment paper.  Spray a little oil on the surface.  Using your hands, pat out to a 1-inch layer.  Using a rolling pin, roll the mixture until about 1/8 inch thick, spraying a little oil if mixture is sticking to rolling pin.  Using a large knife, slice into squares.  Keep refrigerated, using wax paper or parchment between layers.

2 comments:

yeti said...

Thanks for the idea!

I tried this, and didn't completely follow the recipe (and added cocoa to some) but it was a great idea!! thanks!

Tracy said...

These were really good! Just like Sesame Snaps.