Sunday, October 21, 2007

Greatest Hits!

Wow, I didn't realize how many pics I've taken over the last few weeks! I guess I did some good eatin'!


First, I made a few things from recent issues of VT. From September 2007, I made the Greek-Style Panini with a couple of substitutions - crumbled tofu instead of feta and I also spread some pesto on my sliced baguette. These were tasty! It did tempt me to add a panini griller to my appliance collection, but a weighted pot was a great stand-in on top of my grill pan. I teamed this up with a Carrot Soup from an old issue of VT - it used a whole giant bag of baby carrots that I chopped in the food processor then blended with leeks and other ingredients in the pressure cooker.




Next, I made another quick meal from October 2007's issue - Stir-Fried Udon Noodles with Bok Choy. It was very tangy and tasty!



I also made a delicious recipe from Bryanna Clark Grogan's Almost No-Fat Cookbook. I had this book tucked away in my kitchen bookcase with full intentions to make the Pineapple Sweet and Sour Stir-Fry, but never seemed to get around to it. Am I ever glad that I finally did! It was another quick meal, as I used Yves "Chicken" Tenders. It was very flavourful with the sauce and the pineapple! I received many compliments from curious co-workers as the smell of my reheated leftovers wafted over the cubicle walls.



I also tried a couple of recipes of my own - I roasted some butternut squash in my slow cooker with onions, garlic, ginger and maple syrup, then when I got home, puréed it up with some veggie stock to make a yummy soup.



I also used some leftover meatballs from making this again, to serve on top of brown long-grain rice. For the sauce, I mixed equal amounts of chili sauce and organic grape jelly - just like my mom does for regular meatballs. Tasty!



From VwaV, to continue with Tracy's challenge while we count down the days to the Canadian release of Veganomicon, I made Banana-Pecan Pancakes. I used whole wheat flour as my only sub...delicious! They were light and fluffy, just like Isa said they would in the lead-up to the recipe!



Finally, I wanted to save this entry for last. After describing numerous carrot mishaps here, here and here, I finally had success with the Carrot-Raisin Muffins from VwaV!!! This was a major victory for me! They were extremely yummy, especially with the addition of walnuts! I won't be too adventurous again, as the dried cranberries I added were not a good idea.


4 comments:

Jackie said...

LOL I am glad I am not the only one with mishaps. I see the wonderful Vegan muffins and cupcakes in others blogs and feel dreadful that mine never look so great even though I must admit they taste OK.

Great photos of some great recipes. Glad to see you enjoy Bryannas recipes, I love them too.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

wow, you're not kidding when you said you've done some good eat'n lately, haha. the panini, soups, stir-fry dishes, pancakes, and muffin look absolutely tempting and delicious. yum!!

Jen said...

Everything does look delicious! I'm literally drooling over that soup! I had the same reaction to another blogger's pumpkin soup... maybe my body is telling me to eat something orange!

Caty said...

Everything looks really tasty but the butternut squash soup looks absolutely delicious and your pancakes look so fluffy.