Tuesday, September 25, 2007

This 'n' That

I was on a bit of a cooking spree, and decided to whip out Vegan Planet to try a few of the 400+ recipes. I first made Udon Noodles in Ginger Broth (I'm not around the book now to type the totally correct title). I have to say that I won't make this again - it lacked flavour and with such a runny broth, it was hard to eat the noodles without making a giant mess. If I were to make it again, I would significantly increase the flavouring with something, and would break the noodles up into tiny pieces.

Next, I thought I'd try the Spinach Bread Pudding. Tasty, but there was one thing I'd do differently...note the instructions about the pan prep:
This is the result of 'lightly oiling' the pan:

Despite a messy clean-up, it was quite tasty. I served it with some Roasted Vegetables with Thyme (basically cut up parsnips, white potatoes, red potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic mixed with olive oil and thyme and baked at 450 for 40 mins) and baked tofu.
I've been getting better at planning my meals and going to the grocery store just once during the week. This week, I already made Pasta with Portobello Mushrooms in Mustard Sauce. It was from an old issue of VT, but I modified it to include onions and Yves Chick'n Tenders. I used a grainy dijon mustard so I had mustard seeds caught in my teeth everywhere - use smooth dijon if that would make you self-conscious!
Finally, to coincide with Tracy's VwaV challenge, I made the Apple Pie Muffins. OMG - I was skeptical about just how good they would be, but wow, they are great. It's well worth dropping the streusel topping all over the floor to eat these.

1 comment:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

wow the udon noodles, bread pudding, muffins; basically EVERYTHING looks fantastic. No matter what recipe instructions say, I always spray a generous amount of non-stick cooking spray on pans - this way, I never have food that sticks and makes a mess! try that :0)