Thursday, February 08, 2007

Back to Reheating Quickly...

Hooray - I finally got a new microwave after being without for nearly two weeks. My Kenmore died, and I decided to go the Panasonic route this time. So far, I think the Genius likes food ultra hot, so I won't be using the sensor reheat button again, and I have to cut the time in half that it took in my old microwave to heat up soymilk for cocoa - my first attempt left a very smoky smell and left me wondering if the mug I always used is really microwave safe. I do like the mirrored-front for discreetly checking if there's anything in my teeth during a dinner party. But I'm just so happy that I can easily reheat instead of relying on my toaster oven (not ideal for reheating rice) or the stove (which requires me to dirty a pot).

I haven't made any new and exciting meals lately, but I made some treats that I have never posted before. First, a tasty applesauce cake that a former colleague made for my b-day one year - sadly, one of my more happier memories, as I recall how surprised I was when my whole team and all of management got together for the presentation. I am not often surprised, so it always makes me smile when I think of how stunned I was.

Anyways, we all ended up getting laid off a year later...here's the tasty recipe:

Yummy Applesauce Cake

1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 ½ cups unsweetened applesauce
2 cups whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix oil and sugar; then add applesauce. Combine dry ingredients and add to applesauce mixture; beat until smooth. Pour into a greased and floured 8-inch square baking dish.

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.


When Kyle saw the cake, he shouted, "Carrot Cake Icing! Carrot Cake Icing!". I had purposely decided NOT to ice the cake, given that I was trying to find healthier desserts with less sugar, as he has made comments on several occasions that he has 'put on weight since meeting me'. Regardless, it would be fun to make this into cupcakes that are pretending to be carrot-based, given that I have no luck with carrot-based creations. I could ice them and none would be the wiser.

I also made Big Gigantoid Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from VwaV. I have made these before, but I guess I never posted the pics on the blog. When going through my blog photos however, I noticed a mild obsession with Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies, as I had a ton of those photos. I love this recipe so much. I made some subs - I used 1/4 cup of applesauce, then topped up with canola oil to cut down on some of the oil (I wouldn't go nuts on replacing the oil, as I found the cookies turned out rubbery when I tried that before). I also added chocolate chips for you-know-who. Finally, they weren't gigantoid, but rather normal cookie scoops since I don't need to get stuck eating one big cookie. They are my most fave PB cookies out there.

Tonight, Kyle and I are going to try to veganize a major coffeehouse's Pumpkin Scone. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

karen said...

It's been a long time since this was posted but I'm SO glad it was!!! My son's 4th birthday is coming up and I've been searching for the perfect recipe for our vegan friends/family to be able to have that wouldn't require me to go out and buy all sorts of stuff we don't just always have on hand .... and this is IT!!!
THANK YOU!