Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Want s'more?

I'm working on making every VwaV recipe before the sequel comes out. Maybe I'll even get brave and make Orange-Glazed Beets. Until then, here's Chickpea Broccoli Casserole.



This dish really surprised me. I picked it for a night with Princess, since it seemed rather, well, bland sounding. It wasn't. It's not a dish that you'd want to eat a whole plate of by itself without something else of textural interest, but it's really yummy and "casserole-like". It also inspired me to cook chickpeas in the pressure cooker, which are a thousand times better than canned.

Next up is VwaV's Corn Chowder.



Princess really liked it, as it contains two of her favourite things - potatoes and corn. I liked it too, but if making it for only adults, I would definitely put in the jalapeno. I sacrificed the heat for the "family" version.

On an "adults only" night, I made Dal with Coconut Milk from Mangoes and Curry Leaves, and served over brown rice with spinach.



It was quite simple to prepare, and the coconut milk gave it a rich creaminess. And I got to use curry leaves! I bought these at an Indian grocery about three weeks ago and stored them in a ziploc between paper towels. They were still very fresh.

Last are S'mores Cupcakes from VCTOTW.



Cupcakes are so cute. And caloric.

5 comments:

Kati said...

Oh boy - I've been dying to try those s'mores cupcakes. Caloric indeed!

I was also surprised by the chickpea broccoli casserole. It was much more delicious than I'd anticipated.

bazu said...

"Cupcakes are so cute. And caloric."

I agree. I think I just gained a pound looking at that delicious photo!

Anonymous said...

Did you like the way the cupcakes tasted? Are they worth the calories?

I've been eyeing the Chickpea Broccoli Casserole. It looks delicious.

If you're brave enough to try the orange glazed beets and like them, I'll even give them a shot (even though inside I'm slightly shuddering at the thought). ;-)

Amey said...

That's cool that you found curry leaves! How fun. I really like living in Santa Cruz, but we don't have many ethnic stores (or communities for that matter) to shop at. We do have loads of great Mexican markets, but they are (of course) not selling curry leaves! I'll have to trek over to San Jose sometime!
:)

Unknown said...

Tracy gave me one of her s'more's cupcakes, and they were heavenly. Worth every calorie :)