Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Kowloon in Ottawa

On the weekend, Pete and I went on a whirlwind city grocery shop. We hit all the places we never get to and places we've never been to stock up on those hard-to-find vegan ingredients that our local suburban grocery stores don't carry.

One mega stop was an Asian grocery store downtown, the Kowloon Market. It reeks of fish, but has some great buys, including the best fresh tofu and the cheapest silken tofu around.

I made this dish by coating the tofu in cornstarch and sauteing, then topping with spicy peanut sauce. Super easy.



Kowloon carries a variety of asian veggies, including my fav, lotus root. I love it sauteed in a little oil, with soy sauce and a sprinkle of cayenne.



And they have soy sprouts and other goodies for a homemade thai soup.



We also picked up nori sheets, frozen vegetarian dumplings, soba noodles and tapioca pearls for bubble tea. I'll post the rest of our finds soon!

1 comment:

Pamela said...

I can't even go into kowloon anymore, the fish tanks depress me. There's a little store on the same side as kowloon but down about two blocks called "Man phat." It has no fish, and lots of good stuff. Directly across the street from it (north side) is another store with lots of stuff and no fish as well, but I can't remember its name.

And then just west of man phat is a little Indian store with lots of good stuff.