Friday, December 29, 2006

Good Baked Goods!

I was a busy baker just before, during and after Xmas. First, I have to give many thanks to Melissa for her blog on vegan nanaimo bars. They were delicious! And way better than the original version with the tartrazine-laced custard powder which resulted in the gross yellow layer. My mom was a skeptic at first, but insists that they become a new Xmas baking tradition! I'll have to remember to measure the icing sugar next year however, as I made the frosting layer a little too thick, so my chocolate tops wouldn't stay on each piece.


Another Xmas tradition is to make cinnamon buns. Here they are both unglazed and with frosting:
Here's my recipe - I used a bread maker since I'm lazy and don't often have time to knead:
Sarah's Cinnamon Buns
½ cup pure, warm water
½ cup warm soymilk
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
Egg replacer equal to 1 egg (1 teaspoon ER plus 2 tablespoons pure water)
4 tablespoons margarine
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons bread machine yeast


1. Add all ingredients, in this order, in the bread machine. Set to dough cycle.
2. After dough cycle is complete, let remain in bread machine to rise for one hour.
3. Remove from bread pan. Roll dough out into a 14-inch by 18-inch rectangle. Spread another 4 tablespoons of margarine and sprinkle ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon on dough. Roll into a jelly-roll shape. Cut roll into 16 equal slices. Arrange slices into a greased 9x13 inch casserole or 2 greased pie plates. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about 45 minutes to 1 hour (or refrigerate overnight, bring to room temperature and bake).
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Make icing with 1 cup of icing sugar, 1 tablespoon margarine, 1 teaspoon soymilk and ½ teaspoon vanilla. Serve warm.

I also created some blueberry muffins since Loblaws had 1-pint containers on sale for $2.99! I didn't want the berries to go to waste, so I made two batches. I didn't write down what I did, but it's a basic whole wheat blueberry muffins with a crumb topping. Lemme know if you want the recipe and I'll type it up.

3 comments:

um yeah said...

wanna come bake for me? ;)

It all looks great.

Unknown said...

The cinnamon buns are gorgeous!

Carrie™ said...

Hi Sarah! First off, let me say that your "turkey" was fantastic! I love how you tried to make legs. Awesome! I'm going to save this recipe and give it a try. It sounds really tasty.
Vegan nanimo bars? YES!! My mom always made those at Christmas time too and I would eat waaay to many and feel sick. I haven't had any for years. The spinach salad sounds great too. I'm going to print off that recipe as well. And no-knead bread sounds right up my alley.
Have a happy new year!