Thursday, December 28, 2006

Bread Head

Ever since the demise of my bread-machine, I've been obsessed with making bread the pre-automated way. I ordered The Bread Baker's Apprentice and am enjoying it thoroughly. On his blog, Peter Reinhart mentioned the No-Knead Bread recipe from the New York Times, which was also mentioned on the PPK boards. I had to try it.

Here is the dough after rising for 18 hrs.



I recommend you skip all the steps relating to flouring a towel, and instead use a Silpat or parchment to transfer the dough to the pot. Much easier.
Here is the bread after baking in a Le Creuset dutch oven.



And here is a photo of the crumb. I love big holes in bread, something I could never get using bread machine recipes.



The next day, I made Fronch Toast from VwaV using the leftover bread.



And paired it with the best spinach salad recipe I've found to date. Use vegan Worcestershire sauce.

1 comment:

urban vegan said...

I love homemade bread--esp. the smell of it baking in the oven. Yours looks great.