Sunday, October 15, 2006

In a Hurry Curry

On Friday night we had quite a few errands to run in preparation of the move into our new house IN THREE DAYS. I am unbelievably excited! I opted for a fridge cleaning curry, which used up onions, shallots, garlic, carrots, mushrooms, spinach (grown in Canada!), and chickpeas.




I was out of curry paste, so I added copious amounts of garam masala, curry powder, coriander and mustard seeds. I pre-boil the carrots so the curry doesn’t need as much cooking time, and use the cooking water in the curry. Princess isn’t fond of curries, so I set aside cooked carrots, chickpeas and spinach for her, along with the basmati rice that we serve with the curry.

Yesterday I splurged on some cool items for the new kitchen. One was new spice bottles:




I have been wanting to re-organize my spices for quite some time, and put them into bottles that any spoon will fit into. The other item I bought was a silicone muffin “tin”.

Last night I made Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. I make it similar to the recipe in VwaV, but leave out the maple syrup, lime, ginger and chile. I like my squash soup kinda vanilla, but that doesn’t mean it lacks flavour. We paired the soup with ciabatta bread from Farmboy. I only had one butternut squash, so we weren’t blessed with much leftover soup.

No comments: