Monday, October 16, 2006

Awash in Squash!

I also made the Roasted Butternut Squash Soup too on Sunday night. Delish!



However, I now know that I will spend more time in the produce section looking for a scale. I bought 3 squash, as the recipe said, but I did not weigh them to see if I met the 5lb that were called for in the recipe. I roasted them, and started adding the squash to my onion/broth combo, and started mixing with an immersion blender. I couldn't add anymore, since the soup was so thick! I had PLENTY of squash leftover, so I guess I could have given Tracy my leftover squash so that she'd have some yummy soup too.


I also made the Fettuccine Alfreda, as I saw pics of that recipe on a few sites out there. I should preface my review by indicating that I HATE the taste of cheese. For instance, as a little kid eating grilled cheese sandwiches, I used to soak them in pickle brine, then layer dill pickles on top to be able to eat the sandwich. To this day, even when I use vegan cheeze, I still have to do the same. Why do I even eat a grilled cheeze sandwich, you ask? I dunno. I guess it’s just an easy meal. But I digress – I have to admit that I wasn’t a fan of the alfreda, not by any fault of the recipe, but for the mere fact that I hate anything that tastes cheesy. Kyle liked it, so I knew that it was just me. So for all those vegans that miss the taste of cheesy food, this is the perfect recipe for you!

I also added mushrooms to the prepared sauce, to give it some texture.

For dessert, I made another attempt at soy ice cream. I had first tried a vanilla recipe using tofu, but I wasn't thrilled with the results. So I tried yet another plain vanilla to go on top of my homemade apple pie (I was a cooking machine yesterday!!!). I used a recipe for Cookies and Cream (sans Cookies) that used soy creamer, and the results were fantastic! I really liked the fact that I didn't have to chisel it out of the container once I left it in the freezer.

No comments: